Monday, September 15, 2008

Hobo Symbols

Hello, Ex-Gifted Children. Today, let's chat for a moment about Hobo Symbols, shall we? Back in the day, the hobo-folk would mark up people's doorposts with secret code to alert other hobos to any pertinent information about the house. These signs are also helpful when designing tattoos, doodling on jury duty, or signing yearbooks.

So here are my top five Hobo Symbols, brazenly lifted (in the tradition of good hoboes everywhere) from The Symbol Sourcebook by Henry Dreyfuss. Get your book-larnin' cap on, or you'll be sadder'n a tramp without his bindle when you're on the road...

5. Kind Lady Lives Here

This symbol is great because it doesn't mean what you think it will mean. It doesn't mean "cats live here" or "beware of angry kittens" or even "good place to shave your whiskers." No, it's an unbreakable code, which I suppose is part of the GENIUS of the hobo masterminds.

4. The Sky's the Limit

Isn't it nice to think that, despite being poor and dirty, hoboes had such a darn positive outlook on things? When you're down in the dumps, remember that hoboes are sleeping in ravines and eating beans out of a can, and they can still see the silver lining. Why can't you?

3. You Can Sleep in Hayloft

I don't know that this will ever be useful in my daily life, but when the day comes that I stumble upon a perfectly sleepable hayloft, I do hope I have some chalk with me to commemorate it.

2. A Beating Awaits You Here

Once I got past that fact that hoboes used such lovely syntax, I was confused as to why a hobo would stick around long enough after receiving a royal ass-whoopin' to scratch this into a doorpost. Still, a handy sign to recognize, if you aren't eager for a beatdown.

1. Alcohol In This Town

I like this one because it's most applicable to my everyday life. I know a lot of towns that have alcohol. And lots of people who would be interested in that information.

So go forth and communicate as your hobo-brethren do! To learn more symbols, click here.

No comments: