Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Broadway Bound

Hello, my dear Ex-Gifted Children, and welcome to the Great White Way edition of this blog. Enjoy some fun facts about the upcoming Broadway season:

Happy Fact:

David Mamet’s Speed-the-Plow is coming to Broadway, with Jeremy Piven (yes, that Jeremy Piven) and Elizabeth Moss (from Mad Men) – two of my favorite TV actors! Yay.

Sad Fact:

Godspell is no longer coming to Broadway. This is old news, but I can’t seem to let it go. A compassionate donor couldn’t swoop in at the last minute and provide the measly $1 million they needed to mount the production? Pathetic. I guess we’ll have to settle for Hair as our rock musical of the season…Berger looks like Jesus anyway.

British Fact:

Harry Potter gets naked in Equus. There are already pictures online (by that I mean pictures more graphic than the one below). Awkward...

"Yay, 'Arry!"

Annoying Fact:

Shrek the Musical continues the glut of movie-based shows that are clogging Broadway’s once healthy arteries. Even with the lovely talents of Brian D’Arcy James, Sutton Foster, and Christopher Sieber, this is likely to be a big piece of lameness. Prove me wrong, Shrek, prove me wrong.

Spoke Too Soon Fact:

Okay, maybe there is one movie-to-musical adaptation I’m eager to see. And that’s 9 to 5, featuring the talented trio of Allison Janney, Megan Hilty, and Stephanie J. Block. This could sink or swim, but I’m crossing my fingers that it’s okay. Apparently there are technical issues happening in their out-of-town tryout, but with Dolly Parton at the helm, I trust everything will come out fine.

I'm a smart, sassy businesswoman

Little Known Fact:

To reach Operating Thetan Level XVII, you must perform in a Broadway production of an Arthur Miller play. So congratulations, Katie Holmes, looks like you are moving up the Fake Religion Ladder with your debut in All My Sons. But really, who cares. We should all be more excited about seeing John Lithgow, Patrick Wilson, Dianne Wiest, and L. Ron Hubbard in his first stage appearance since “Dianetics: The Musical.”

It's an eruption of mental instability

So get out there and support the Broadway community! Buy tickets! (And/or steal comps from well-placed friends.)

No comments: